Google indexes the entire known internet every month. That’s multiple trillions of URLs. They do this by indexing, or “crawling” the web with their bots or search crawlers. I’ve always imagined their crawlers as these little pac-men that eat the content of your website. The more tasty the content, the more they eat and the more they feature your website on the first page. As over imaginative as my mind can be, that’s not far off from what’s happening, and so it’s up to you to make sure your website is worth eating.
You may have heard of or seen this before. It’s a more recent term used in the SEO field. Google released their “Search Quality Evaluator Guidelines“, and in it defined E-A-T as “Expertise, authoritativeness, trustworthiness”. In other words, every page that Google’s crawlers want to “eat” and feature on the first page of their index should be written with expertise, authoritativeness, trustworthiness.
So the question is, does Google want to EAT your website? Or does your website taste like a stick. This is where SEO and digital marketing can be invaluable.
Here are some basics defined by Google to help raise your website authority:
Well optimized Title and Meta description
- Your title tag should clearly represent the main content of the page it represents. This then should be echoed in the h1, h2, h3 to help organize your main content of the page.
- Your meta description will also clearly define the main content of the page.
A good amount of high quality main content for each page
- This is the actual shown content of the page. If the page is a video page, it should probably have a video. If the page is informative, it should provide at least 300 words of informative information, although some experts recommend at least a thousand words! And of course, it should contain EAT.
Website information about who is responsible for the website.
- This would be info about the owner of the company, company history, or if its a retail ecommerce site, plenty of customer service information.
Positive website reputation for a website and business
- Google is once again saying how important your online reputation is… this means you can’t ignore Google reviews, Yelp and the many other online review places.
Mighty Fish Digital will help make your website downright DELICIOUS
If you want raise the quality of your website from every angle but don’t have the time, you may want to look into hiring a digital marketing company.
Mighty Fish provides custom packages but they always include high quality optimization, local search optimization, Review management optimization, and offsite optimization.
Fill out our free website health audit below to check how “eatable” you website is!